Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Business Writing

When my college experience made the wonderful switch away from general classes, there were only two majors for me to choose from: business writing and creative writing. At the time, I knew that business writing was more practical; potential employers like their unfortunate need for a copywriter to be softened by that person having the word “business” attached to their degree. I also knew that I’d rather be a starving artist than a working-class copywriter. I chose the creative writing path, knowing the degree would mean almost nothing, but that the experience would benefit the color of my writing more aptly than a dowsing of “business.”

Not along ago, I had an opportunity (within the confines of my necessary day-job… you know, the one that feeds me) to interview for an internal web-copy position. I jumped at it, figuring that my decade (or so) of strategically honing my subject-verb-infinitive-preposition (etc) combinations would merit some consideration for the position.

I’m not sure I’ve ever felt so belittled. Despite the interviewer’s gracious demeanor, the disregard for what I had to offer was… disheartening.

Clearly, I didn’t have the word “business” attached to my degree. Whatever this “creative” nonsense is that’s obscuring my portfolio, it meant nothing to this bureaucracy. In business, the succinct writing of Elements of Style pays homage to search-engine-optimized diction.

It’s made me wonder about that choice I made after high school. Part of me thinks there shouldn’t even be a choice: I’m pretty confident that if my 9-5 bureaucracy were patient enough to try me out, this creative writer can write whatever they throw at me. I might even be better than Joe business writer, considering I’ve had training in multiple genres.

But then again, business doesn’t wait for the muse. Better to plug in someone who’s already walked that learning curve, even if it means the opposite of saving money. God bless all of those editors and agents who can make a living by walking such a tightrope.

No comments:

Post a Comment