Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Loft Literary Center

I've stumbled upon a writer's paradox.

I'm a firm believer that writers, as a general rule, are fairly empathetic people. Writing is an art that requires feeling, and those types of people who make a practice of really observing the world and find themselves vicariously experiencing another person's life just from a mere conversation are those that embody marvelous literary talent. It could come from anyone. Writers realize this, and it sparks a kind of open-mindedness, an empathy for fellow writers.

The business side of writing is populated by editors, agents, and boogie men. The gauntlet of deleted queries and rejection letters is scary.

Fortunately, we writers have more resources available to us than we could possibly ever use. Countless support groups, advisory panels, how-to websites, and sympathetic organizations provide useful information, if they can be found.

Here's my paradox: The Loft Literary Center is one such helpful institution. It hosts classes, readings, and other activities. However, it has developed a reputation amongst "outsiders" as being the paragon collective of writer's ego. If ever there was a high-brow writer's guild, this is it. Every time I've attended a reading, I have felt like I was snooping in upon an elitist cultural event. It didn't matter HOW good a writer I was, I would never be trendy enough to be a "Loft" writer. It was a paradox, a writer's organization for writers that managed only to make me feel as though my abilities and accomplishments were insignificant. How dare I call myself a writer?

I recently attended a two hour class at The Loft. What a difference. Maybe it was the time of day, morning, rather than evening. Maybe it was that I was in the midst of writers who were actually working to improve their craft by attending this class, rather than in the midst of those intent upon advertising their craft. Regardless, the class was quite good, and I plan to keep attend others.

My angsty paradox has begun to redeem itself.



As a post script, I'd like to add that my experiences with the business side of writing have been far LESS scary than I imagined they might be. Writers aren't the only people that realize talent can come from anywhere. Yes, I may be channeling Ratatouille.

No comments:

Post a Comment