Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lolwut?

This is the pinnacle of internet slang. The power of communication via written text has been reduced to criminal ineffectiveness by an acronym. Lolwut?

I'm no English scholar. I'm just a guy who gets annoyed when useful phrases get turned into nonsensical jargon by spam. Have you played an MMORPG recently? Have you watched the world chat channel? How many statements (because it's impossible to measure internet chat by actual sentences) included some variety of LOL?

But here's what really gets me... the vast majority of the uses of "lol" are meaningless. Some even use it to temper ambiguous statements that might be interpreted as bigoted, despite that the subject matter has nothing to do with humor of any sort.

I'm a fan of lol. I can't stand it when people type something other than what they mean.

1 comment: